Balancing

Revellion and Benny Tweaked (no longer supported)

Moderators: Benny, revellion

Balancing

Postby Rocco » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:31 pm

EDIT: nevermind about the bombs, i just saw that you already took care of it, very nice! What does lockpick actually do, when do i need it?

Heya Benny mate,

just a little reminder to balance the sites a bit more, maybe the Russian site is currently to strong (Saboteur bombs, Lock Pick, 4 or 5 different SUs).

Today you asked for a sniper feature, the suggestion was that snipers are able to spot enemy units and mark them on the map for their team. maybe give them an ability (like the laser marker) to mark every unit or building they see.

Just wanted to say how appreciated i am about your work, ArmA wouldn´t be at this quality without you!

Have fun!

Rocco
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Rocco

Postby Benny » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:28 am

Thanks, i'm currently on Adding a RACS side at the moment (playable)

That's my work on GUI so far, it's raw and need to be finalized, RACS will spawn on an island or so and will be able to FT to main land different location,

RACS will be able to buy things in function of their score.
Benny

Postby rundll.exe » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:43 am

Nice!! Something I always wanted in CTI :D

Can racs win the game?
Executes more than dll's
rundll.exe
Site Admin

Postby Rocco » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:27 am

I love your ideas, a new day, a new modification! Just wonderful!
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Rocco

Postby Seitan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:35 am

RACS side :D
War between 3 sides?
How many players total? 3*16 :?:
Woot that will be great.
Seitan

Postby Modaflanker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:07 pm

If you've successfully allowed three teams to play at once, I am amazed!

I recall in the RTS-4 thread on the BI forums about people who have struggled to make that work but failed. I'm sure whoever was having trouble would love to see how you did it!
Modaflanker

Postby Johnnie Walker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:21 pm

LoL benny

That's great!

Just one thing, 40 players version posible without lagfest?. 32 players + 8 rac players ^^
Johnnie Walker

Postby Benny » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:33 pm

JW yes, 'normal player' scripts are executed on east / west, racs is kinda virgin :D .

i'll release a beta soon, need to test out a few thing, i'm finishing map markers update and then i have to settle respawn
Benny

Some suggestions

Postby exe » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:36 am

Hey all,

I've been playing for a while now on the XR server, I have a couple of suggestions for the RBT maps.

Nuke + napalm plus other AOE weapons seem to be the easy way out. 90% of games ending are because of these. Find base, lauch nuke, instawin.. I think they could use some toning down.. One person suggested making the MHQ nuke-proof.

Also, in my opinion, AA is also a cheap victory. Build a few AA pods and most air resistance is out of the way. Usually what happens is that only a few routes are air safe after that, mostly around the island. This also means that if you want to do a heli drop youd have to walk a fair distance after named drop. Id think, make AA twice as expensive so that its placed only where needed (read - next to base) rather than everywhere in the map.

Of course these are personal opinions and dont know how you guys feel about this.

Regards

exe
exe

Postby Nidhöggr » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Here are some ideas/opinions. Feel free to disagree... ;)

WMD

Since most chemical agents are colourless the green cloud should be removed. The affected players should have convulsions instead which could be simulated by a shaking FOV and/or forced "Gear" animation (where the soldier kneels down and looks at the ground). Additionally the current wind speed could be used to simulate the dispersion (read: reduce the duration and move the center of the gas attack over time).

Nukes could be replaced with neutron bombs. This would justify a reduced blast radius and a smaller mushroom cloud. A simple trigger could be used to find all affected soldiers. The amount of damage should be depending on the distance from point zero. MBT crews should get half the radiation damage to reflect the fact that most MBTs are hardened against neutron radiation.

Using WMD on a town should set its SV to zero immediately.

Using these kind of weapons should also be punished somehow. My first idea was, if one side uses them the SV of all their towns is reduced by 10, 25 or even 50%. This is to prevent a commander from using them "because he can" and to make them strategic again.

Respawn island

They should be excluded from all kinds of remote attacks. The "let's burn the respawn island" problem could be avoided by creating special respawn platforms beyond the visible (read: clickable) part of the map.

Satellite camera

It is too powerful. It's the all-seeing-eye that never blinks. Once you have found the enemy MHQ they have almost no chance to escape. The unsettled weather I've seen in the WACO-RBT mission offers a nice solution here: the "overcast" value could be used to limit the maximum zoom level of the camera (the satcam script should check for weather changes constantly and zoom out if needed).

The movement of the camera is too smooth. There should be only four or five zoom levels. Going up/down/left/right should make the camera "jump to another sheet".

The oddest thing about the satcam is the fact that you can hear what's going on below. Something like "_vol = soundVolume; 0 fadeSound 0; ...satcam stuff...; 0 fadeSound _vol;" should fix this.

Artillery

How about adding smoke shells and APICM (Anti-Personal Improved Conventional Munition, the shell divides into many small bomblets)? The latter can be easily simulated by dropping ~30 handgrenades within a specific radius instead of one big grenade. However, both ammo types might raise performance issues.

The slider where you can select the dispersion should be removed. The dispersion should be detemined be the distance to the target. This would make it possible to add another CC upgrade: GPS/GLONASS guided artillery projectiles (like the XM1156) that provide a very small and fixed dispersion. Laser guided artillery projectiles (just like the GBUs but for artillery) could be another upgrade option.

These two upgrades could also be made side dependent. AFAIK there are laser guided 122mm projectiles available for the D-30, whereas the US has GPS guided 105mm projectiles for their M119s.

AA/AT pods

The amount of AA/AT weapons deployed on the battlefield is ridiculous. You are safer outside of a tank than inside. Both systems are really really powerful but come virtually for free. They make the whole game feel like a mixture of Chechenia (heavy armor losses) and Afghanistan (heavy air losses) with both sides being USSR/Russia.

AA and AT pods should be available for the commander only. The overall amount per side should be limited.

Walls

Players should not be allowed to build walls or they will continue to abuse this power constantly. How about giving the commander the posibility to build camouflage nets instead?

...to be continued.
Nidhöggr

Return to Warfare RBT